Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2021

The Homeshopping Bluebirds

Gorgeous weather settled onto Winston-Salem this past week, with temps at and above 70°F under sunny skies. It was so wonderful to bring out the camp chairs for driveway sitting time, with the birds and squirrels providing plenty of entertainment.

Last Tuesday, what caught my eye as the morning proceeded was the appearance of a pair of bluebirds, who seemed to be checking out the bluebird house.

They were back again on Thursday morning, with better sunshine and better angles to try to capture them in action with the camera's long lens.

All of these pictures are from Thursday; the photos I snagged on Tuesday were too dim and shadowed for it to be clear that these were actually bluebirds.

I bought the house in 2003 but did not spy any bluebirds here until 2016.

Bluebirds have remained rare, though...I found a couple of mentions from 2018 on the blog, but otherwise they have been elusive!

It was a joyous relief to download the photos from my camera and find several pretty decent ones.

I still think the bluebird house my mother gave me all those many years ago is not situated in the place that bluebirds find appealing. I just haven't figured out where else it should go, though.

UPDATE: Sunday Evening

That sweet bluebird couple continued to be around right on through today. It was a mostly cloudy afternoon, so the photos are middling, but here are a few:

The Bradford pear is finally, as of today, sporting its earliest blossoms.

This is about two weeks later than has been the case for the last couple of years, but you know how happy it makes me for this next sign of the spring that cometh!

No comments: