Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Meal No. 2793: Sweet and Sour Vinaigrette Mixed Greens with Blue Cheese and Spiced Walnuts

It's been a while since I made the classic salad inspired by Ryan's, a pretty great restaurant here in town: spiced walnut blue cheese salad with sweet and sour vinaigrette. The walnuts were too grand a temptation and I ate quite a few not on the salad. But it all served for a decent enough Saturday evening meal last weekend.

I've lived in this house since 2003 and I've been broken into more times than I've been doorbell-pranked. That evening, just before 10 pm, may have been the first time, actually. A gaggle of giddy high schoolers in town for a soccer tournament found themselves strolling through the neighborhood and one among them broke away because apparently the grand porch and doors of the Roediger House were too much of a temptation for his excess energies and esprits de corps of buddies of a certain age and temperament.

Thanks to my exterior security footage, it was a simple matter to review the video to clarify what had caused the ringing of the doorbell, as well as who had done it. I had a hunch it could be easy to spot them on Fourth Street and actually caught up with the group near the intersection of Fourth and Trade Streets, where the harmless perpetrator wanted to insist he was ringing the doorbell in order to get directions back to his hotel. I told him it was bad enough to come ringing the bell at my house but the persistence of the lying was beneath him.

Also, his sweatshirt proudly proclaimed "Virginity Rocks." I suggested another virtue worth his commitment was veracity.


"Spiced Pecan and Blue Cheese Salad," inspired by the signature salad at Ryan's Steaks, Chops, & Seafood (an excellent Winston-Salem restaurant). "Sweet and Sour Vinaigrette" from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, compiled and edited by Julie Fisher Gunter. Birmingham, AL: Oxmoor House (1999), p. 373. "Cinnamon Vanilla Glazed Walnuts" recipe from McCormick & Company. Thanks as always to Jimmy Randolph for helping me track down those recipes.

No comments: