Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Christmas Holiday Breakfasts


As the new day, new year, and new decade dawned on January 1st, I tried to be ready for my guests as they came downstairs that Wednesday morning...


...so there was some fresh-baked party ham biscuits to help us start it all off right.


Then, on Thursday morning, I also managed to offer up slices of buttered rum cake, together with some pimento cheese sausage balls that had been squirreled away in the freezer.


The buttered rum cake may be superior in appearance but it is definitely a distant runner-up to the more favored white wine coffee cake that I often make during the holidays.

Also, I'd like to note that sometimes you're sitting fat and happy making the most of an undeserved bounty:


...and then next thing you know, you're Squirrel Kill Number 7 for Sumner, the house pooch, who once again has made me a proud papa.




"Party Ham Biscuits," a recipe shared with our family by Susan Brown, who was my sister Allison's college chum at the University of North Carolina. I recorded Susan's in my recipe collection in 1988. There are various versions of this recipe, of course. Pretty popular is the "caramelized" version, such as this one: "Caramelized Ham & Swiss Buns," by Iris Weihemuller of Baxter, MN, in Taste of Home, December 2013, p. 59.

"Spicy Horseradish Sauce" from "Beef Tenderloin in Wine Sauce," from The All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. Compiled and Edited by Julie Fisher Gunter. Oxmoor Press (2006), p. 295, 296.

"Buttered Rum Cake," from Melissa Sperka of Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen blog. [Published 29 December 2019]

No comments: