Search RoHo Blog

Monday, April 18, 2022

Mexican Restaurant White Dipping Sauce (Virginia-Style)

I have found the singular occasion when apparently I am required to use Miracle Whip instead of my beloved Duke's mayonnaise: to replicate the Virginia-centric small-town (mostly) Mexican restaurant white dipping sauce. Always strangely addictive when little bowls of it have been placed along with the expected salsa, while I'd wait for my arroz con pollo in Bedford or Woodstock or Luray, it should not be confused with white cheese sauce. The limited research I have done on it suggests it originated in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and spread from there. I finally stumbled onto some copycat recipes and tinkered enough to produce my own seductive rendering of it, which did not last long in its maiden voyage through the Roediger House kitchen in early April.


"Mexican Restaurant White Dipping Sauce," a recipe worked out by me, sampled by Spring Street, and approved of by all.

No comments: