Search RoHo Blog

Monday, June 5, 2023

Meal No. 3371: Coconut Chicken Curry

Thursday ushered in the start of a new month, and with it came an ill-formed notion to pilot a new recipe: coconut chicken curry over Basmati rice. It was fine, and made better with spiced roasted cauliflower on the side, but it was also educative: this ain’t exactly what pleases the tastes and preferences of the Roediger House. Now that I’ve been there and done that, the recipe I used can head right on over to the undercabinet rubbish bin.

I started the draft of this entry in the full-sun quiet of morning, on that first day of June, and boy howdy had that sunshine truly been missed. Oh, not to overlook that small snatches of sunlight managed to break through, ever so briefly, in May’s last gasps, but that Thursday was the first day in a week where I could take my ragged camp chair out onto the driveway to soak in the warmth and to enjoy the lushness of a late spring’s breezy start-of-day. Sumner was pretty stoked as well. We were loving making it two days in a row, on Friday morning as well (photo above).

The earliest daylily bloomers at the front wall are so far ahead of their companions, and I only caught a just-past-prime photo of its peachy loveliness (above); nearby is the calla lily whose color makes me happy:

All the rain and drear we had suffered through for nearly a week meant I did not keep up well enough with the rapid spread of the two cherry tomato plants. They were past the time when I should have staked and supported them, but I did the best I could to gently nudge them into submission.

That calendar transition coincided with the bittersweetness of other deeply-felt transitions: the arrival (down in Mississippi!) of new baby Russell to Brad and Lauren, who are so dear to the Roediger House; and the passing of the great Joe Milner, a friend of 41 years and department chair in Education both when I was a grad student and on faculty at Wake Forest University.

There is a time to dance, and there is a time to mourn.


"Easy Coconut Chicken Curry," from Ajoke of The Dinner Bite. [Published 02 August 2020]

No comments: