Search RoHo Blog

Monday, June 26, 2023

Confrontation with a Porch Pirate

The Saturday afternoon of Father’s Day weekend was lovely, and in between stages of prep for the Saturday night suitemates soirĂ©e were suitable snatches of outside time for Sumner to soak up sun and for breezes to please us. Sitting as is our custom in the shady spots of the driveway means we are not always visible to folks on the street that we, in turn, can plainly see. One of those daring daylight sowers of shenanigans was an oddly-attired suitcase puller, whose brief stop and quick dash onto a neighbor’s porch caught my eye...and in her hand (and then stuffed speedily into the suitcase) was a package I’d already noticed over there.

So down to the street I went, first to make sure I snapped a photo, and then there was the half-block slow-moving pursuit (a heavy suitcase and ankle weights were in play) as she told me to quit following her and I told her to return that package. At the front door of Quanto Basta, she finally stopped, unzipped that stuffed suitcase, and threw the pilfered package into the street.

As a man of a certain age, I’m still not conditioned to think quickly enough about videoing an outlandish encounter like this. But I hope it’s enough for the Winston-Salem PD that we have a good picture of her, and at least for one neighbor, a better outcome for her package.

No comments: