Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2022

Tirami So-So

In 2011, the only other time I've tried to make a regular traditional-style of tiramisu, I commented at the time the following:

"I guess this is a reminder for me that this is not a dessert I feel all that drawn to anyway, and it was just sort of okay to me."

I should look at those words not merely as an observation or critique, but as advice. For whatever reason, though, last Thursday I forgot that I'm not all that into tiramisu and decided I had to make it again. And what I made looked right in most ways but it still strikes me that, if the pastry chef suddenly came down with flu, and the dishwasher who'd never tried tiramisu before were pulled in to cover the dessert-making, this is about as good as he might produce. It's just blah.

Perhaps it was overcorrecting, but my memory is that the alcohol taste was overwhelming in that previous tiramisu venture so I tried to quicken the soaking of the ladyfingers. Ah, but these may have been larger, or less quickly absorbent, perhaps? The photo above shows that their exteriors are barely penetrated by the coffee-liqueur-cocoa soak. I'm sure that didn't help the overall outcome.


"Rich and Creamy Tiramisu," from Stella Parks, Editor Emeritus and former Pastry Wizard for SeriousEats.com. [Updated 15 April 2020]

No comments: