Search RoHo Blog

Friday, December 16, 2022

Meal No. 3250: Beef Chili with Beans

Tuesday's dinner was a direct response to the return of grey cold temps (more whining about that in the bottom paragraph), and beef chili was called for that evening. I've been making this one recipe for a very long time and, while I've dabbled in a few other alternatives but this is the champ I keep rallying around.

It's nice that the kitchen window bird feeder attracted s squirrel instead of a rat this time, but Sumner was not having it.

And once more, after last Monday’s December-abridged few short hours of glorious sunshine (I even spotted the bluebird!), came the unwelcome resumption of the inglorious chill and grey the following morning. The cups of hot coffee by the fireside fell short of proper girding against the invasive cold, and after getting cleaned up and gussied up I braved the bracing early hour to report for supporting duty at a local elementary school, hoping to be helpful to a young teacher neighbor navigating the novelty of his new position. Alas, as I started down the driveway, my car gave me that STOP RIGHT NOW alert that one dreads to see, with a warning about low oil pressure. I left it on the street, switched to the truck for my short journey, and later that day called on AAA to take it to the dealership. Just low oil, perhaps burning a bit given the age of the car, so I'm certainly glad it was not more serious.

Of course, the following week, when my Costco shopping cart and I stood at the trunk I'd just opened, only to discover that the dealership had not put my trunk back together...

...led me to discover for the first time my Apple Watch's careful monitoring of my heart rate, as I stood fuming back at the Service Department after a succession of ignored communications to get it resolved.


"Simple Beef Chili with Kidney Beans," from Cook's Illustrated, Number Sixty-One [March-April 2003], p. 10-11.

No comments: