Search RoHo Blog

Friday, June 17, 2022

Meal No. 3117: Deep-Fried Monte Cristo Sandwiches

One of those interesting recipes that I'd been long wanting to try finally got put into play on Tuesday a week ago: Monte Cristo sandwiches, in the spirit of what I once would have ordered at the long-since-closed Bennigan's up on North Point Boulevard. (The Bennigan's chain still exists, although it only has 11 locations left in the U.S.) I used up the last of a loaf of brioche, made it a double-decker with both turkey and ham, balanced the cheddar cheese with gouda, and gave it a hearty dip in batter before deep-frying the two prepped sandwiches to a golden perfection. The requisite raspberry preserves were a sweet complementing counterpoint. I'd had a nice low weigh-in that morning and I put in some fine labors in the yard that day, making this indulgent dinner treat feel somewhat deserved.


Based on "Monte Cristo Sandwich (Bennigan's Copycat)," by Amanda Rettke of the I Am Homesteader blog. [Published 07 May 2021]

No comments: