Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2022

Meal No. 3109: Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice Casserole

On the final Friday night of May, it was a gathering of most of the Roediger House regulars for supper and hanging out. I reached back into the 2017 archives (I made it five times that year) for a recipe that feels like mostly my own creation, even though I based what I was doing on a couple of recipes I'd looked up. We're talking about cheesy chicken broccoli and rice casserole, a hearty and sumptuous dish full of flavor and calories, thanks in part to the creative use of the leftover cheese sauce from the recent round of Philly cheesesteaks.

After a post-dinner round of pool upstairs, it seemed time for a sweet post-dinner treat. I had baked up deep dark fudge brownie bowls that afternoon, to which I added coffee pastry cream that I'd also already made. Topped with a bit of the chocolate dipping sauce I had on hand, it was a ridiculous dessert that perhaps we all struggled to finish...but finish 'em we did!


While I have pretty much made it my own recipe, I still got inspiration and ideas from:

[Very little of each recipe actually made it into my version of that evening's dish, so I think my tinkering went beyond merely adapting.]

"Deep-Dark Fudgy Brownies," from King Arthur Flour.

Coffee Pastry Cream filling was based on "Coffee Pastry Cream Recipe," from Elizabeth Waterson of Confessions of a Baking Queen. [Published 14 April 2020]

No comments: