Search RoHo Blog

Friday, June 10, 2022

Meal No. 3110: Beef Biryani

On May's final Sunday evening, I reached for a never-before-tried recipe that looks promising for future repeats: beef biryani with basmati rice, sweet potato, shallot, ginger, green beans, and red pepper. A nice curry flavor came through with this south Asian dish, and the slightest touch of heat, all mixed wonderfully together in this one-bowl meal.

Then, after a respectable rest period, I could not quite shake the feeling that there might need to be a sweet finisher to the evening. Pulled from the archives after a nearly two-year absence: Cap'n Crunch cookies, with a bit of caramel and buttered popcorn flavoring added in to give them an elevated effect. They were darned near perfect, I'd say. I made 'em extra big and still had me an extra one, throwing caution to the wind.

By the way, on that sunny and warm afternoon, I pushed myself out the door and managed a hard-fought 6.4-mile walk (with the sun-reddened neck as proof of the endeavor). As my Apple Watch has tracked it, once I also hit my "stand" goal for the day, this was 100 days in a row of closing my fitness rings for calories burned and exercise minutes expended.

In this aggressive late winter/early spring push for better health or to create opportunity for more desserts, my March walking total was 117.5 miles, in April it was 125.5, and in May the total was just shy of 150 miles walking (and 18 biking) for the month.


"Beef Biryani with Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans," from Cuisine at Home, Issue No. 104 (April 2014), p. 12-13.

"Cap'n Crunch Cookies," adapted from a no-longer-available recipe found online at The Capitol Baker, with credit going to Emily of the Visions of Sugar Plum Blog for inspiration and the source of the adapted recipe.

No comments: