Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2021

Apple Pie and Vanilla Sweet Milk Ice Cream

As is sometimes the case, I find myself caught with a supply of milk that is approaching its expiration and have to get busy with it in some form or fashion. Thus, there was a sad batch of vanilla pudding a few days ago, and there was also a new container of homemade ice cream, heavy on the whole milk and perched on the vanilla-spiked mountaintop. I managed to keep it mostly in reserve in anticipation of last Sunday night's gathering of the Roediger House regulars

According to the blog, I've only made Margaret Lasater's delightful apple pie one other time since I started keeping a Roediger House blog: in celebration of Independence Day back in 2016. In the early 2000s, though, I think I made it quite a bit for my students at Wake Forest or when I'd have folks over for simple suppers in my old kitchen. By the way, it is a wonderful streusel crumb-topped apple pie, and the recipe is credited to Margaret Lasater. Who is Margaret Lasater? Well, two of the most wonderful gentle good souls in the church where I grew up were Gene and Lucy Lasater, and Margaret was the wife of Gene's cousin Dick. It was from another Memorial Baptist Church member in Buies Creek named Mary-Margaret McKnight who shared this recipe with me back in 2000, upon my request!


Apple Pie by Margaret Lasater; recipe shared with me by Mary-Margaret McKnight of Buies Creek, NC, in 2000.

"Sweet Milk Ice Cream," a recipe from King Arthur Baking that is no longer available online.

No comments: