Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2021

The Fancy Version of Chocolate Éclair Cake

When the Roediger House regulars were here Sunday night for a Labor Day Weekend barbecue dinner, I was ready to bring back the high-falutin' take on choclate éclair cake that I first came across about 10 years ago in Cook's Country magazine. It's really quite good but it's also a more involved version of the simple country favorite that I first encountered in the late 1980s. Perhaps, as best I can tell, that's why I've only ever made it that one time back in 2011!

Seems pretty accurate to assume that I need a lot more practice, though. Or maybe I rushed it and didn't give it enough chilling time in the fridge. While it all tasted fine, it was definitely a goopy soupy mess when I served it up around 9 pm Sunday night, and what a disappointment that was with company on hand and after all the labors I'd put into it!


"Creamy Chocolate Éclair Cake," from Sarah Gabriel of Cook's Country, June/July 2011, p. 25.

No comments: