Search RoHo Blog

Monday, August 2, 2021

August 2nd, 1981

Norwood E. Jones circa 1950, in front of
Mingo School in Sampson County,
his first principalship

If memory serves, my high school girlfriend Dana and I went to Raleigh for a Saturday night out on the first day of August, 1981. We probably ate at Darryl's but we also went to Nowell's in the mall, where I was still slight enough to pay kids prices for the largest size of a boy's polo shirt: a pretty bold golden yellow, I believe. Our movie that night was Superman II. Home and bed after midnight, but then awakened somewhere around 4 am, at which time my mother told me my father had had a massive heart attack while down at an antiques show in Greenwood, South Carolina, and he did not survive. It boggles the mind that it has been forty years.

No comments: