Search RoHo Blog

Monday, August 16, 2021

Meal No. 2907: Baby Back Pork Ribs / Meal No. 2908: Brunswick Stew

The lottery-selected dinner menus are continuing, as I seek to winnow down the contents of my too-well-stocked freezer. Last Tuesday night, that meant my first attempt at using the sous vide to do most of the cooking of some prepped and vacuum-sealed baby back pork ribs. That cooking, by the way, was a 24-hour process in the hot water bath, set precisely at 152°F.

I then finished them on the grill with some delicious homemade barbecue sauce.

The meat is so tender and juicy and pulls easily from the rib bones. I'd scarfed down two just in extracting them from the vacuum bags once the cooking time was up. Then the entirety of my dinner was an additional 9 or 10 ribs, I kid you not. But I saved out a few to finely dice for the next evening:

Meal No. 2908....Brunswick Stew! I made up a fresh batch sort of going on memory plus some hints from a variety of recipes I've got. In addition to the extra pork rib meat, I also diced up the remaining chicken breast from Meal No. 2905, plus added in a small portion of a previous batch of Brunswick stew that had been frozen and vacuum-sealed. (I reheated that leftover stew in the sous vide Wednesday afternoon.) This multi-sourced pot of deliciousness served well the evening's appetites!


Guidance for Pork Ribs from "Sous Vide Barbecue Pork Ribs," from J. Kenji López-Alt, former Culinary Director and current Culinary Consultant of SeriousEats.com. [Updated 27 May 2021]

Brunswick Stew derived some inspiration from the following:

No comments: