Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2021

An Abundance of August Ice Creams and Puddings

The super epic rainbow cake from the previous weekend required 19 egg whites. That's a lot of unassigned egg yolks that ought to be destined for some great and glorious use. In addition to the Blue Moon ice cream that went perfectly with that colorful cake, a handful of the yolks found their way into a double chocolate liqueur ice cream that I churned on the first day of August, as well as a vanilla pudding (that required some reworking after it initially failed on me).

But wait: there's more! Also on that Sunday, I made a base for vanilla ice milk (no yolks but plenty of delicious grass-fed whole milk), which I churned on Monday. Then, that Monday night, I made a second batch of it, that was churned on the following day and tucked away in the freezer.

I should not forget that another joyful endeavor Sunday a week ago was making an extra chocolatey and sizable batch of hot chocolate pudding, and that's where the balance of all those reserved egg yolks went.

Too much expensive grass-fed whole milk that was about to expire figured into my figuring, and the very last of it was employed with a new recipe: French Silk Pie Ice Cream. It proved to be a whole 'nother heavily chocolated concoction, for sure, still silky but not especially French silky. In fact, I'd say it was much more like a frozen pudding, perhaps more suited to being perched on a popsicle stick. Also: I'm gonna be as big as a house before the end of August if I keep this up.


"Double Chocolate Liqueur Ice Cream," by Kita Roberts. From her Pass the Sushi blog.

"Classic Vanilla Ice Milk," by Stella Parks, Pastry Wizard of SeriousEats.com. [Published 22 August 2018 / Updated 15 April 2020]

"Vanilla Pudding," from the Food Network Kitchens.

"Hot Chocolate Pudding," from the Food Network Kitchens.

"French Silk Pie Ice Cream," from Kaleb Wyse of WyseGuide.com. [Published 14 July 2021]

No comments: