Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, November 2, 2019

The Departure of October


Halloween was a weird weather day in Winston-Salem, with the last gasp of any warmth as we peaked at about 80°F late afternoon before turbulent winds and stormy skies kicked in...and ruined Halloween for lots of kids.


I tooled around the yard a bit that day in between rain showers to capture some of the last colors of summer and the bursts of it that sometimes occur during the fall. Above, you can see the begonias that did really well throughout the summer, along with the volunteer vinca that grabbed the barest foothold in a crack between the pavement and the retaining wall.


I planted some new camelias back in the spring, and I see that the one I put out front above the sidewalk is a fall bloomer.


There are also nice touches of color coming from my "Blooming Again" azaleas, both beside the front porch...


...and along the driveway at the south property line:


Yesterday morning, with the beginning of November, temps were down to a chill 36°F here at the house, and I think Sumner was content yet again to take up morning residence as a larger-than-lap lapdog:


No comments: