Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Rare Sighting of a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker


Over the Veterans Day weekend, a strange bird call compelled me to try to investigate because I was sure I'd heard nothing like it before. To me, it sounded like a squeezed rubber ducky, an odd mewing in a pitch and register that was highly unusual for my normal bird traffic. I spotted the noisemaker high in a tree along the back wall of the property and could tell he was acting in a woodpeckerly manner. I grabbed my long lens and did the best I could with the trajectory from which I had to shoot and with the sun coming at a bad angle, making it very shadowy around the bird in question. In the end, with assistance from good friend Jimmy Randolph and a follow-up consult with my bird guide, I decided I might have had my first encounter with a yellow-bellied sapsucker.

No comments: