Search RoHo Blog

Friday, May 31, 2024

White Wine Coffee Cake

Last Saturday was National Wine Day, but my menu was already set for chicken fried rice...and for me, that's not a wine-associated meal. There was an easy solution to be had, thanks to one of the recipes handed down to me from my teetotaling mother: white wine coffee cake. A simple recipe long associated with the cozy days of old home, growing up in Buies Creek, this recipe from the little old ladies of church occasonally has me imagining the sneaks of sips that might have occurred in the small quiet kitchens with their backyard-facing windows and out of the watchful eye of all the Baptists of our small community. Here in Winston-Salem in the present moment, when I made this last weekend, I could give two hoots about who thinks what about whom. I was too busy smacking my lips and dreaming of the next slice of this goodness.

No comments: