Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2024

Meal No. 3603: Plain Old Oatmeal

Oh my gosh: what a great day last Friday was. It started with driving over to Chapel Hill and taking a spot behind the office of my all-the-way-through-school friend Margaret. Along with her boss, we strolled just steps away to the historic Carolina Inn, joining a band of hearty alumni and a handful of current undergraduates for the Order of the Golden Fleece Commencement Breakfast.

This was also my first in-person sighting in almost 30 years of Scott Peeler, Class of '93, who followed a few years after me as president of the UNC Residence Hall Association. Below is a picture he recently dug up of us at the same breakfast in, oh, around 1996...which might indeed have been our last time together. One of us has changed significantly.

After the breakfast, I drove over to Raleigh at the invitation of one of my graduate students from Wake Forest University, once more inviting me to come watch her teach and offer feedback. It was awesome to see her in action with her middle school students, and we had a delightful conversation (over drinks!) after school at a cool spot just outside Five Points. By the time I was home after that full and joyous day, it was oatmeal again, just plain old oatmeal, representing Meal No. 3603.

No comments: