Search RoHo Blog

Monday, December 25, 2023

Merry Christmas 2023

At the risk of getting the timeline all misconstrued on this here obsessively-reported blog, and putting out the warning that I've got a small backlog of almost a week for the latest entries, which means tomorrow's blog post will be about last Wednesday's supper, I'm pausing the process long enough to say it's a marvelous Christmas Day in the grey quiet of downtown Winston-Salem. The pups don't know it's a holiday but they begin every day excited about getting things underway, and regularly stare impatiently at any laggard owners taking too long with their coffee as we start upstairs:

Another special element of the day: opening up a wonderful new salt cellar from the dear compadre Amy, beautifully wrapped and thoughtfully chosen to perfectly align with my kitchen wants and needs:

I've just returned from a 4.1-mile stroll, passing two different postings of Jehovah's Witnesses plus a few other strollers and exercisers, and for me sped along a bit so I could get it done before the rains roll in later. But I also needed to walk off the celebratory sustenance that appeared magically at mid-day:

Fresh and hot, straight out of the oven, these are overnight brioche eggnog cinnamon rolls, bubbling beautifully—just before I poured an overabundance of eggnog-white chocolate icing over them:

The one on my plate barely had a chance to settle in against the ceramic surface because I impolitely scarfed it down in record time. I mean, cinnamon rolls are awesome. Homemade cinnamon rolls are glorious (this was Batch No. 22 of some kind of these). But when we roll up into this season of joy, the extra touches of rich egginess, full butter, and indulgent topping: my gosh, it was a tremendous gift to self.


"Easiest Overnight Eggnog Brioche Cinnamon Rolls" [Published 21 December 2018], plus frosting based on "Easy Fluffy Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls" [Published 24 November 2020]. Both recipes from Tieghan Girard of Half-Baked Harvest.

No comments: