Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2021

It's-It Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches

If I am remembering correctly, one of the undrawn Quarantine Task Jar slips that I was using last year at the beginning of the pandemic shutdown was going to force me to try making ice cream cookie sandwiches for the first time. That slip never came up but just over a week ago, a new recipe magazine issue sparked that interest again and I decided to try them out. The featured item is an imitation of San Francisco's famous It's It original ice cream cookie sandwich. You know, the one invented in 1928 by George Whitney by putting a scoop of vanilla ice cream between two oatmeal cookies and then dipping it all in dark chocolate. Sounds decadent enough, doesn't it?

I made the vanilla bean ice cream the Wednesday and Thursday before, so that by Friday a week ago it would be ready to scoop and squeeze between the fresh-baked (and cooled!) oatmeal cookies. For the chocolate shell sauce to dip them in, I made a couple of small tweaks in the approach recommended for the homemade Klondike bars that have shown up here a few times. The ice cream came out a tad softer than I'd have liked, but those sure were some delicious ice cream cookie sandwiches, if I do say so myself!


"Almost It's-It Ice Cream Sandwiches," by Jacyn Siebert [San Francisco, CA]. In Taste of Home, June/July 2021, p. 19-20.

"Vanilla Ice Cream" (p. 35-36), from Bi-Rite Creamery's Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones, by Kris Hoogerhyde, Anne Walker, and Dabney Gough. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press (2012).

Chocolate Hard-Shell Sauce adapted from "How to Make Homemade Klondike Bars," by Stella Parks, the Pastry Wizard at SeriousEats.com. [Updated 07 September 2018]

No comments: