Search RoHo Blog

Friday, February 10, 2023

Meal No. 3289: Giant Juicy Burgers on the Grill

In my initial stream of thoughts about dinner last Sunday night, I was leaning toward peanut butter bacon burgers, given that it's been a good while since I made those. Ah, but without any hamburger buns tucked in the cabinet, it was a chance to just make my own. As their given name implies, those hamburger buns were indeed "beautiful," and also bodacious! So huge were they once baked that I pulled back on the bacon and peanut butter additions and just made the burgers themselves large enough to try to match the gracious surface area of those sturdy split buns. Now that I have gone through the process once, I am certain that I should divide them into 8 or 10 buns next time so that a more reasonable size and bun stature results. Tall and still tasty were they, simply supplemented with the last of my beef and cheddar melts sauce.


"Juicy Burgers," originally from Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks recipe magazine, July 2003, p. 52-53. After Pillsbury was purchased in 2001 by General Mills, home of Betty Crocker (founded in 1921, mind you!), it basically ceased to exist as a company and lives on just as a brand. I guess that's why a Pillsbury cookbook recipe from 2003 is now only found on the Betty Crocker website.

"Beautiful Burger Buns," from Ellen "Moomie" Dorsey of King Arthur Baking. See also the accompanying blog post, "Burger Buns with a Beautiful Backstory," by PJ Hamel. [Published 28 June 2021]

No comments: