Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Meal No. 3248: Shrimp Po'Boys

While the premature winter-like chills of late autumn continue to characterize these final weeks of 2022, my recent weekend preoccupation turned to a hopeful endeavor regarding New Orleans-style shrimp po’boys for my Sunday repast.

After all, it’s been over five years for this dinnertime treat and why not go all out by making the French rolls from scratch?

That meant starting Saturday night so that the dough would slow-rise and develop deeper flavors in the fridge overnight. I lack a developed technique for creating even and matched rolls, as is obvious, and yet I must pat myself on the back for the earnest effort. Alas, the slashing of the tops showed I still have so much to learn about baking rolls, because they completely collapsed! From that it seemed they’d not rebound as they baked, and I would’ve had dense doughy rolls as a result. But glory be, they puffed up barely enough in that well-steamed heat and came out rather incredibly delicious if not also sad looking. I had to eat the runt of the litter immediately, slathered with some softened butter, and it transported me.

Those little creole popcorn shrimp were terrific nuggets of fried goodness, albeit a tad salty, and were pretty glorious once adorned with the homemade remoulade sauce, whose ingredients I should have written down but I'll just have to make up another version the next time.


"Shrimp Po'Boy," in Bon Appétit, June 2011, p. 118-119.

New Orleans Po’Boy Rolls,” from Chula King of PudgeFactor.com.

Remoulade was a home creation with ideas and inspiration from:

No comments: