Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2022

Meal No. 3232: Vierling Saloon Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

It was still warm enough this past Saturday night for me to take my 3-mile stroll in short sleeves...and then the cold front blew in. Sunday dawned in the mid-40s and chilling winds and occasional gusts raked their inherent rudeness across the city I call home. I took two important preparatory steps for the sub-freezing drop that followed Sunday night: shutting down and draining the sprinkler and irrigation system, and making a big ol' pot of Vierling Saloon chicken and wild rice soup for our RoHo regulars gathering Sunday evening. It is such a dependable and winning recipe that it hardly needs any accompaniment...just good company.

This was a welcome catalyst for trying another bread recipe that I'd been jonesing for: fluffy maple milk bread. I got that started mid-day, in time for the two risings plus the baking and cooling. The crew knows I've been trying my hand lately at various breads and have signaled a willingness to be experimented upon.

Verdict: we liked it, a lot.


"Vierling Saloon Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup," formerly offered at the Vierling Saloon in Marquette, Michigan. Another online version of the recipe can be found at Miss Mary's Blog.

"Fluffy Maple Milk Bread," from Eric Kim of New York Times Cooking. [Published 16 March 2022]

No comments: