Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Not Missing the Massive Dirt Pile


One of those long overdue projects in the yard realm of the Roediger House was getting all the excavated clay, rocks, roots, brick, concrete, and soil scooped up and hauled off. Over the last eight years, I had created an enormous and long hill of discard as I've dug out various areas of the yard, mostly for planting beds and landscaping.


This is the northwest Piedmont, after all, with plenty of deep dense red clay, and this house is old and a lot has been dug up and covered up on this downtown plot.


The rains held off enough last Wednesday that this was kind of a perfect quick afternoon job for them while other projects were having to dry out a bit. With my pile of discard having grown to about 25 feet long, 10 or 12 feet deep, and as much as 6 feet high, it took the good guys of Superior Lawn and Landscaping six loads to haul it all off, including a return couple of trips the following morning.


After they left, I set about trying to cut back all of those invasive reeds that have come over from the neighboring back yard and now I have quite a pile of those down by the curb. That carried over into Friday as well but I knew it would be quite a job!


Before a quick and brutal storm blew through at midday on Saturday, I was able to rake and hoe and smooth it down, albeit roughly, and then fertilize and plant some shade grass. It's not a particularly sexy part of the yard and for now it's still pretty rough looking. Nonetheless, I am really enjoying the feeling of progress!

No comments: