Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, September 19, 2024

Meal No. 3700: Murgh Makhani

On the somber day of September 11th last week, the household was graced with a gorgeous soul for dinner who brings with her always both light and joy. Amy has been central to Roediger House life for over 15 years, and here as summer wraps up, she's joining us for several Wednesday nights while her husband is tied up with some work-related endeavors. That night, the dinner menu included murgh makhani, also known as "butter chicken," which brings a fullness of flavor and a touch of heat. I also roasted some cumin-coriander cauliflower, as it seemed a complimentary side, and of course there was plenty of basmati rice for that grandly-spiced tomato-garlic-ginger sauce that adorns it all.

The latest rolling of the Dungeons & Dragons recipe-selection dice brought me to the March 2016 issue of Food & Wine, and the recipe I decided to try was lemon-blueberry yogurt loaf cake, with a zingy-zangy tingly-tangy lemon glaze. That was our evening finisher before Amy departed; we rather liked it! Also: I wish I'd made the glaze thicker, because I ended up with a bit of a mess.

In the spirit of noting how great it's been to have Amy as a friend this last decade and a half, I dug back into the photo archives. I think this is my earliest picture of her, from a movie night gathering on 28 June 2009:


"Finger Lickin' Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)," by Marzia Aziz of Little Spice Jar.

Cauliflower adapted from "Roasted Cauliflower," from Cuisine at Home, Issue 85 (February 2011), p. 15.

"Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf Cake," from Justin Chapple in Food & Wine, March 2016, p. 108.

No comments: