Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Meal No. 3693: Smothered Pork Chops with Onion-Thyme Gravy

Having guests over Labor Day Weekend, and hoping I'd be prepared for an extension of their time or a rumbling of their appetites, I'd overbought at the grocery store so I'd have what I need on hand. That included a package of pork chops, and those were the main feature on Labor Day proper, in the form of braised smothered pork chops with an onion-thyme gravy. This recipe has been a consistent winner for dinner since the magazine featuring it arrived here in late winter 2011. (I did try a slow-cooker version that first year but have returned every other time to this one.) I roasted Yukon gold potatoes, with plenty of spices, and also roasted whole green beans with a nice garlic and herb rub on them. The meal was terrific, if I can so profess, and gave me the sustenance required for that evening's 5.5-mile downtown stroll.


"Smothered Pork Chops," by Erika Bruce. In Cook's Country, April/May 2011, p. 22-23.

No comments: