Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2024

Meal No. 3694: Maiden Voyage to Smashburger City

My latest novel experiment was to jump into the smashburger craze, which occurred on September's glorious first Tuesday. Given that eating out is a rare thing for me, it was only recently that two different lunch meet-ups with colleagues brought me into a pair of our newer burger joints downtown and I sampled them first hand. I like ‘em. I watched videos. Then I tried ‘em out, in the cool of an late summer afternoon when everything about the day said: you oughta grill something.

Since these are quick cookers, I actually did try to have everything in place and ready to go. I'd already invested in a few new essentials: a Lodge cast iron griddle for the grill; a burger press; an extra wide steel spatula/turner. I toasted and buttered brioche buns, mixed up some seasoning and spices, boosted my burger sauce, opened up the sleeves of Kraft Singles, and had sufficient pats of butter to help at every stage of the process. These were plain Jane cheeseburgers, with no add-ons like onions or lettuce or pickles...I've always preferred 'em stripped down anyway. And deliciously perfect they were, leaving me ready to put this gameplan back into play as soon as I can find the right combination of lies to tell myself about why it is important to do so.


Making no claim that these are the right steps for you, but as long as I've recorded them for myself, I thought I'd make a recipe sheet available should anyone like it: "Simple Smashburgers," from the Roediger House. [Published 04 September 2024]

No comments: