Search RoHo Blog

Monday, September 9, 2024

Meal No. 3691: Beef Chow Fun

As long as I'd pulled a particular 2018 issue of Cuisine at Home from the shelf, after our random dinner decision dice roll a few weeks ago, I thought it might guide me for a second night in a row over the Labor Day Weekend. That Saturday night, which was also the final day of August, I substituted ribeye for flank steak (gotta go with what's on sale!) but otherwise was pretty faithful to this first-time attempt of Beef Chow Fun. Those 'round the table said it was good, but I'm pretty sure it took a lot more work than my other stir-fry and wok meals and was not as good as those others. I won't expect to see this one show up again, but you don't know till you give it a go!

Since it was a Saturday night with out-of-town guests, and we are all the stay-at-home types, a movie was called for. In this case, it was A Quiet Place: Day One. But I also had to have dessert, you know. A homemade peach cobbler plus homemade vanilla sweet milk ice cream were an ideal combo as we trudged slowly into the final weeks of summertime.


"Beef Chow Fun," in Cuisine at Home, Issue No. 128 (March/April 2018), p. 10-11.

"Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler," by Patty Catalano on TheKitchn.com. [Published 06 August 2024]

"Sweet Milk Ice Cream," published in the King Arthur Flour catalogue some years ago, but no longer available on their website.

No comments: