Search RoHo Blog

Monday, September 2, 2024

Meal No. 3686: Beef Tips in Mushroom Madeira Gravy

The quest to pare down the stored proteins in the overstocked freezer continued this past Sunday, giving me a chance to pull out the meaty tip of a whole beef tenderloin I’d bought a while back on a decent sale. My intention was to use it for a beef stir-fry but, with leftover sour cream and chive mashed red potatoes from the previous evening, and some broccoli florets ready to be roasted, the meal plan turned into the marvelous beef tips in a mushroom Madeira gravy. It was huge and heavy, more than I ought to have done, but doggone that deliciousness!

About three years ago, to get a handle on the pull-out spice rack at the kitchen island, I invested in uniform-sized spice jars that came with a ton of pre-printed labels plus some blank extras if I needed to label some myself. This really helped me tighten up the space and also to find things pretty quickly. More recently, the challenge has been obtaining spices, herbs, and seasonings in bulk from a couple of fine purveyors of such: Penzy’s and Savory Spice. I had a mix of hard-to-store bags and bottle sizes and it was getting out of hand. But there’s an easy source to solve issues like this, even if it becomes all too easy to turn to Amazon and those well-stocked warehouses, from whence cameth my help in a nice mix of spice containers. That was my project that Sunday, after washing them out and giving them time to dry. This also inspired me to sort, toss, and reorganize a few shelves in the kitchen cabinets and in the butler’s pantry, so it was victory on multiple fronts.

No comments: