Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Meal No. 3528: Chicken with Coronation Sauce

Not that you have to know the ins and outs of how a menu is chosen, but: I asked myself what I might make with fresh chicken breast last Friday night; I did not go far into my catalogue of possibilities and once I'd thought of chicken with coronation sauce, that's all she wrote. Fresh steamed rice for its base, an overabundance of the coronation sauce, tender chicken morsels, and perhaps a generous glass of red wine on the side: it closed out a fine week in Winston-Salem.

Friday offered an unexpected reprieve from the depressing and unsettling multi-day rain stretch promised by the weather forecast. A mix of clouds and sunshine became easier to appreciate since it was in partnership with the soothing warmth of a 71°F high temp, which I absolutely relished. Not so much that I tackled some standard January yard tasks as I ought to have—instead, I let the enticing afternoon outside time serve as pleasant breaks from the educational literature I was wading through.


"Coronation Sauce for Chicken," from 400 Sauces, by Catherine Atkinson, Christine France, and Maggie Mayhew. Hermes House (2006, 2008), p. 155. Recipe is a variation on "Coronation Chicken," created by Constance Spry and Rosemary Hume for the 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

No comments: