Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, November 11, 2023

Update on the "Fire DeJoy" Sign

In the bright sunshine last Tuesday morning, around 10:30 am, some passerby walked right up the front steps, took my "Fire Louis DeJoy" sign off of its metal stakes, and absconded not with the sign, but with the stakes. Perhaps because it can be sold for recycling? Anyway, above is the video if you feel like watching it.

I must admit that this is a new one on me, given how many different political and election signs I've had in the yard over the years. The older security cameras do not capture images quite as clearly, so I've temporarily mounted one of my newer ones in a prime spot should the sign be molested again, as noted in the photo above.

And I took one other theft prevention step: way way back when we first got Cyprus, I'd picked up a yard stake that you can corkscrew into the ground to attach a leash or rope for play time. I found it on the back patio near the grill, spun it deeply into the soil in front of the porch, and dug a padlock out of a kitchen drawer. If it does not defeat a repeat thief, it will at least put him on camera for more footage of his attempted misdeeds. As a longtime educator, I'm willing to confess an appreciation both for the constructivist approach to learning, as well as a marked propensity to operate often very much as a behaviorist.

And look: speaking of wanting to support the hardworking employees of the postal service, the camera that day captured the mail hand-off from our excellent carrier that afternoon:

No comments: