Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Meal No. 3490: Linguine with Smoked Gouda & Wine Sauce

As Black Friday proceeded in this fully blessed household, with the rattle and hum of good company, I sorted through a list of dinner possibilities in search of one that might have universal appeal. Long ago, at a dinner gathering with graduates from my first group of masters students when I was teaching at Wake Forest University, I was turned on to a tasty vegetarian pasta recipe from the famous Grit Restaurant in Athens, Georgia. (The Grit, which I've never been to, closed back in 2022.) With two vegetarians and a non-red meat eater constituting half the crew, the Grit's cookbook came in handy, leading me to make linguine with smoked Gouda and wine sauce, with plant-based hot "sausage" plus mushrooms and diced sweet pepper. I figured a pan of garlic-rosemary focaccia wouldn't be too terrible of an idea. We also had chopped Romaine salad, with a choice of either of the homemade salad dressings: Thousand island or creamy Caesar.


"Linguine with Smoked Gouda and Wine Sauce," from The Grit Restaurant Vegetarian Cookbook, by Jessica Greene and Ted Hafer. Athens, GA: Hill Street Press (2001), p. 64.

"Easy Rosemary Garlic Focaccia," from Adam and Joanne Gallagher of InspiredTaste.net.

No comments: