Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, July 9, 2023

National Apple Turnover Day

When I undertook the arduous culinary journey ultimately intended to result in some nice handheld iced apple turnovers, it was mainly to force me to try my hand again at working with pie crust dough. Don't misunderstand: I'm definitely a fan of apple turnovers and was excited that these would be on a plate for me to enjoy, once it all was finished. Even though the outcome was far from what was intended! But with a scoop of dense creamy and chewy New England-style vanilla ice cream, also made from scratch, it helps overcome what fell short.

My previous attempt at turnovers was tasty but looked horrible, when "apple hand pies" was one of the slips drawn from my Quarantine Task Jar two years ago. It takes practice, which means I have to be willing to work with pie dough and fail, or work with it and get something ridiculous looking but still tasty, and ultimately I might be able to figure out how to roll with it.

At least so far as the blog can tell, we can count this as scratch-made pie crust attempt number two, with a generous rough determination of ±33% degree of success, let's say.

Let's also say that the new lilies are showing their marvelous beauty as they come in for the first time this summer. These photos (above and below) are from the bulbs I planted on the rear yard landscaping slope, tossed into hurriedly-dug holes back in the spring.

It's definitely summer, and while he still prefers to be outside and often in the direct sunlight, Sumner is also keen on finding the perfect cooling spot where the air blows from under the kitchen cabinets:


"Apple Turnovers," by Sam Merritt of Sugar Spun Run. [Published 08 September 2022]

"The Best Easy Pie Crust," by Sam Merritt of Sugar Spun Run. [Published 08 November 2021]

"Dense, Chewy, and Rich New England-Style Ice Cream," from Max Falkowitz, former senior features editor of SeriousEats.com. [Updated 28 February 2019]

No comments: