Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Meal No. 3394 & 3395: Roasted Salmon & Broccoli

I’ve been in such a strange place this most recent couple of weeks, and as Friday settled onto us, with its bright sunshine and light breezes and creeping summer heat, I was ready to shake off my malaise and resume my stance as a productive member of society. Or, at least, a fair handler of homelife at the Roediger House. I harvested more cherry tomatoes...

...I made up the guest beds with fresh linens, I straightened up the kitchen...and I began making plans for culinary craftwork since that brings me most directly to my happy place. First, though, I ate the last of my apple turnovers.

When the time came to figure out the evening meal, no idea held greater sway over my persuadable decision-making than a bit of roasted salmon, along with roasted broccoli florets. Perfectly cooked once again, and nicely spiced, I was a content diner in my favorite dinner spot.

The reign of summer in Winston-Salem continued into Saturday, and I felt bad for the rushed paving crew as they resurfaced Fourth Street just up from the house. But I was due no pity at all for the delicious repeat of the previous evening’s meal: roasted spiced salmon with roasted broccoli florets. For a quiet Saturday night for Meal No. 3395, with no guests at the table, it fell to me to use up the ingredients that spanned two suppers, and I complied without complaint.

No comments: