Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Buttermilk Lemon Pie / Chocolate Meringue Pie


As we hit the middle of August Saturday a week ago, I realized from a quick inventory of my fridge that I had several ingredients that were reaching the end of their shelf life: buttermilk, regular milk, eggs, and pie shells. There was only one thing to do: make pies.


The first one I tackled allowed me to reach back into the archives and bring back a pie that probably hasn't been made here since August 2011: buttermilk lemon pie. When it made several appearances all those years ago, it was always well-received. But this time I think I managed to overcook it, which brought out an unpleasant taste from the eggs in the recipe, so I tossed my only slice of it after a couple of bites.


As for the chocolate meringue pie: it's a classic old recipe with a number of variations and approaches. I'm sure I've sampled a lot of them because it is the kind of pie that shows up at church potlucks and on the dessert menu of country restaurants and greasy spoons that I would have frequented in my youth. I most associate it with the all-you-can-eat buffet of the Meadow Restaurant, a semi-regular Friday night meet-up spot for my eastern North Carolina family (I talked about this a bit more in this blog post from 2017). Within 24 hours, I did in fact consume about half of this pie.

Google Street View of the Meadow Restaurant



"Buttermilk Lemon Pie," from Taste of Home.

"Chocolate Meringue Pie," based on a classic and common recipe.

No comments: