Search RoHo Blog

Monday, October 7, 2024

Round Challah for Rosh Hashanah

In the celebration marking the start of the Jewish New Year, on the occasion of Rosh Hashanah, I am drawn to the memory of an incredibly special visit by my friend, colleague, and fellow UVA doc student Sheryl. In 2013, she journeyed from California to pass this holiday and brought with her inspiration for honoring the occasion in some of the traditional festive ways.

The culinary centerpiece of that was a round challah loaf, and I endeavored again this year to mark both the spirit and the fond memory by once more making one for the household. My lack of skill comes through in the denseness of it but my gracious did it prove to be some pretty wonderful bread to eat hot out of the oven with just a bit of butter.


Challah Recipe from Tori Avey, The Shiksa in the Kitchen [Updated 08 May 2023], which I first discovered thanks to the Bon Appétit website. [Published 04 September 2013]

Guidance for braiding the challah from "How to Braid Round Challah - Quick and Easy," from CookKosher.com on YouTube.

No comments: