Search RoHo Blog

Friday, July 15, 2022

Meal No. 3138: Supper-Sized Baked Beans

The cast of usual suspects dutifully reported for a Saturday evening of hanging out this past weekend, and I really wrangled over the dinner menu. Eventually, I settled on supper-sized baked beans, a savory and quite filling dish shared with me long ago by home-cooking culinary guide Stick Coulson, a former boss from my grad school days as a dorm hall director at Wake Forest, some 30+ years ago. And it had been a while since I made sweet Southern cornbread, so that was a cast-iron-skillet tag-along for the crew.

I do want so much to also offer up some desserts to these fine friends when they come over, and a new recipe emerged from my mental menu match-making: pink lemonade sheet cake with a lemony buttercream frosting. I chose a food coloring that was more fuscia than pink so they all swore they could taste blueberry in it!


"Baked Beans," from Redith Mozelle Newman Quesenberry (1927-2019) of Carroll County, Virginia, via Cindy Coulson of Cana, VA.

"Sweet Southern Cornbread," adapted from "Golden Sweet Cornbread," from bluegirl on AllRecipes.com.

"Pink Lemonade Cake," from Jocelyn Delk Adams of Grandbaby-Cakes.com. [Published 29 July 2014 / Updated 03 June 2022]

No comments: