Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Meal No. 3150: World's Best Lasagna

The crew of RoHo regulars faithfully reported for a Saturday night hang over the weekend, and it was all the incentive required to bust out the glorious lasagna recipe that I've been making since 2010. The recipe has legions of loyalists and remains atop the AllRecipes download heap. It has never disappointed us. A nice crisp garden salad seemed called for but I wanted to dress it up with homemade dressing. In my world, lasagna is best accompanied by Thousand Island, and it was pretty spot on if not a bit pickle-y. Ah, but the novelty that evening was a first-time attempt at restaurant-style breadsticks.

They were not exactly pretty but they were more than pretty good. I was happy to hear the table's rave reviews so I guess it will be a happy obligation to bring them back.

Let's also take note of the terrific start to that Saturday: a long-overdue visit from Byron and Laura Hoover and family, as they circled back home from a grand nation-crossing summer vacation trip. An advisee from my days on faculty at Wake Forest University, Byron was a fantastic student but an even more remarkable teacher. The Hoovers are among my favorite people in the world and the old man can't quite wrap his mind around the fact that they are parents of a 15-year-old (as well as two other fine children). I made Byron take home a notebook with a collection of my article drafts, suitable punishment for him given how earnestly he has long encouraged me to write.


"World's Best Lasagna," by John Chandler (Dallas, TX). Found online at AllRecipes.com.

Adapted from "Thousand Island Dressing," from Graybert on GeniusKitchen.com.

"Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks," from Tessa Arias of HandletheHeat.com. [Published 13 December 2013]

No comments: