Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Meal No. 2575: Boogaloo Wonderland Sandwiches


A fun recipe that I made three times in 2018 sort of fell off my radar...until last Thursday night. That's when I whipped up a batch of Boogaloo Wonderland Sandwiches to the pleasure, amusement, amazement, and entertainment of the Roediger House. They might have been even better since I was using homemade beer ketchup and homemade steak sauce as ingredients in the sauce, which is incorporated both into the meat mixture but also gets slathered onto the buns. It took incredible restraint not to eat a second one that night...they were exceptionally delicious.

While I was carrying over last Wednesday's "Pack Up the Library" chore, I still drew a new task slip that Thursday morning: "Driveway Root." And glory hallelujah, it was a task I'd already completed the week before, and I rather liked the feeling of being ahead of the game.


There are two trees along the back of the driveway/parking area (shown in the photos with the recent blog post for Meal No. 2570), and the roots had worked their way under the pavement. Years ago, it was a mere ripple. "I better tend to that," I'd think from time to time...and then do nothing. Now that chunks of pavement have popped up and the knob of the root is poking up, the critical need is more poignantly presented. I dug into the tangled mess that pretends to be a strip of yard back there, chopped up all the roots large and small that I could, and got it all covered over.


Yet another necessary item that I kept putting off, I'm afraid, and I let it go on long enough to really cause damage to the asphalt of the driveway near the back of the property. Score yet another victory thanks to the quarantine task jar!



"Boogaloo Wonderland Sandwiches," by Bryan Roof. In Cook's Country, April/May 2018, p. 4-5. Recipe has also been reproduced and tinkered with a bit by Kristen of The Simply Delicious Kitchen. Link to "Boogaloo Wonderland Sandwiches." [Published 23 February 2018]

No comments: