Search RoHo Blog

Monday, April 6, 2020

Meal No. 2560: Deviled Chicken Thighs


Sunday a week ago, when some might have even thought it got a bit warm during the afternoon, I pulled my first task from my random assignment jar and went: "Oh, crap!" It wasn't an item that was particularly high on my list and I wasn't especially enthusiastic about it. But that was the whole point of the quarantine duty bowl of chore and task slips: all these things that I kept putting off and never getting around to would finally, perhaps, command my attention. "Patio Pad," read the slip, meaning I had wanted to do some minor repair and adjustment to the simple set-up I had created back in 2012 as a place for my grills and firewood rack. The pavers had gotten uneven over time, with washing and settling. This was never meant to be a permanent patio, although I have no idea when or if I'll ever put in something real and decent back there.


Total work time might have been close to two hours, and then I continued working in the backyard doing weeding and trimming...so it was a pretty full day of yard work. Which was enough to wear me out, frankly, given how sedentary I've been all winter long. Still, a decent dinner was called for, and I decided on deviled chicken thighs, green beans, and easy stovetop stuffing. It was just right for that night.




"Deviled Chicken Drumsticks," by Ian Knauer. In Gourmet, August 2008.

2 comments:

Ben Phillis said...

Nice work!

Ray said...

I'm eight days into the task lottery and so far I'm tackling at least one thing each day!