Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Mississippi Mud Pie


Somewhere along the way, in the last year or so, I was bound and determined to try out a Cook's Country recipe for Mississippi Mud Pie. I'd gone so far as to start this very blog draft and already appended the recipe source to the bottom of it. But it stayed in the "drafts" folder on blogger.com since I failed to follow through. And the more I think about it, I'm fairly certain that I didn't get it done because I was having trouble finding one of the ingredients: Famous Chocolate Wafers from Nabisco. Plus, the recipe itself was a bit intimidating and involved. Anyway, that's how this pie ended up on one of my quarantine task jar blue slips, whereby blue represents a handful of a few fun tasks, enjoyable pastimes, or (quite often!) a recipe or kitchen creation I've been hankering to try. It's the slip that was drawn Saturday a week ago. After a pretty full day of working in the yard and a supper of tasty leftovers from the previous couple of meals, I got busy on this pie.


Listen: this version is a pretty fussy pie to make. In contrast, an "Editor's Pick" on food.com relies on two kinds of instant pudding plus a tub of Cool Whip, as does a 13x9 version elsewhere on that same site...if you want to go the easy-peasy route to make this sucker. Not so for a recipe from Cook's Country, by god! By the time it was done, it left a surprising and discouraging number of bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons, spatulas, and whisks to be washed. There were two different kinds of chocolate to chop and by golly you had to be somewhat precise about the heat of them after you'd melted them...not to mention getting a portion of the heavy cream to a precise temp for part of the mousse. It's a homemade crust, homemade brownie layer, a somewhat intimidating mousse layer (that I do think I nailed, if you must know!), and even a baked chocolate topping to crumble on it for the final crowning touch. It took much of one evening and part of the next afternoon to put it all together. You won't find this puppy on the dessert table at a church social, no siree.


Oh, but when the time came to dig in after that Easter night supper...well, let's just say you would have broken quarantine to be here.



"Mississippi Mud Pie," by Christie Morrison. In Cook's Country, June/July 2016, p. 22-23.

No comments: