Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Meal No. 2574: Not So Cajun Chicken


Last Wednesday night was a chance to return to a much-loved Roediger House favorite, the very first meal I made in the new kitchen once the addition was finished in 2009: Not So Cajun Chicken. I've almost always served it over rice...but I try to mostly avoid rice these days. So I tried it over linguine instead, and it was still terrific and tasty.

The weather that day was glorious and gorgeous and just on this side of a bit cool...making it perfect for me to be inspired to take on a somewhat sizable yard project (more on that in a future blog post). That ran counter to the chore pulled that morning from the quarantine task jar: "pack up the library." I didn't get to that task at all last Wednesday so it carried over to Thursday, which was sort of perfect since it was a dreary drizzly day, all the day long.


The original structure of the house is four rooms over four rooms, and those upstairs rooms have had rotating purposes and uses over time. The front room on the south side upstairs was initially a guest bedroom, and then it became the TV room. The long-term plan now for about five years has been to dedicate it to serve as the library but, when I got some estimates for building shelves and cabinets several years ago, the price was just beyond the pale. So it's held a temporary (multi-year!) status as a book room, copier/printer room, and junk room...which gets easier to live with the longer one lets it go on. That's also why it was a purple slip in the quarantine task jar. I can't get it renovated into a library if the room is full of stuff. Plus it looks terrible and is hard as heck to keep clean.


'Tis true, though, that even while I am enthused to be tackling long-delayed chores and tasks, it is a corresponding reality that not all of these are simple or one-day projects. That's part of the reason they've remained undone, which only makes sense. So I got a great start on boxing up the library but this project joins with a couple of others to be in process but incomplete.




"Not So Cajun Chicken," a dish I regularly enjoyed at Crowley's Old Time Favorites restaurant and bar on Medlin Drive in Raleigh, NC.  (Another version of the recipe can be found here.) A heap of thanks is due to Jimmy Randolph for tracking  down the recipe for me.


No comments: