Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

King Cake Praline Pecan Cookies / Mardi Gras Sugar Cookies


I'm pretty sure what you see pictured above are the most ridiculous cookies I've ever made, and I also know they are nowhere near the best cookies. Behold: King Cake Praline Pecan Cookies, made by yours truly. But not made well enough, perhaps: they were a bit dry, really, and fine but unremarkable in their taste. This might be an occasion where I ought to have spooned-in-and-cup-measured the flour, instead of weighing it? I suspect I also need to work on my praline topping technique so that it's less grainy and not so thick but I'll typically try to follow a recipe's directions the first time I make something. But as a culinary creation that was fun to attempt? In that, they were almost worth it.

To mark Mardi Gras, they were my second themed cookie I made. Here's the other one:


The day before, on actual Fat Tuesday, I dug into a new recipe not just for sugar cookies but for some very colorful (and quite large, at first!) delicious Mardi Gras Sugar Cookies. I mean: they were some really tasty cookies but I'm glad I went the extra step to divide the dough and to color it in a manner appropriate for the holiday, with purple, green, and a touch of gold, as seen here in the prepped bowls:


...before combining and rolling (like those good times!) in pure cane sugar, and flattening slightly:


Not so very hard to do, albeit a good bit more involved, and yet what a cool final result!


No comments: