Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Cream Cheese Danish Pastries


When I had an unexpected day off on Thursday a week ago, I was able to indulge in two different enjoyably tedious endeavors: (1) weeding the yard by hand, and (2) trying to make cream cheese danishes for the first time ever. Do I look like I guy who's ever laminated dough? Well, as of March 6th, 2020, I am that guy.


The next morning, when I set about dividing the dough and portioning it out to make the individual danishes, I was pleased to see that remarkable display of layering that resulted from all that rolling and folding and resting and repeating. It gave me hope about the overall potential for success in this involved endeavor.


Alas, you'd think after 11 years of college, I'd be better at reading directions. I made a couple of errors there at the final stages of danish production that I'll try not to repeat in the future.


Still, the baked cheese danishes were really pretty good, and I was kind of proud of what I'd pulled off. Working with yeast doughs remains one of my weakest culinary skills...probably because I do not practice enough to perfect my processes.


"Danish Pastries," from Michelle Lettrich, who blogs at BrownEyedBaker.com. [Published 03 March 2020]

No comments: