Search RoHo Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Hard Deeds Done by a Creep

My minor cat problem has already been discussed in the blog. Today, I took the surprisingly hard steps necessary to resolve it.


For the last two or three weeks, I've been putting out food and water at a specific place on the front porch, where it wraps around to the north side. The damn cat has gotten used to this, it seems, and has conducted herself with a fairly healthy appetite.

Finally, last night at around 2 am, I assembled the Havahart® trap I bought a little while back, settled the food and water into it, and left it to do its deed.


Six hours later, when I got up around 8 am, I found the damn cat locked up tight in there. And if I thought she was wild and feral before, it became more convincing watching her in her initial fight to get out of that trap. And then came the next hard part:


I loaded her up in the back of the Tundra for the drive up to the Forsyth County Animal Control shelter. No local cat rescue place here takes feral cats, and I am not going to set her up to be a catch-fix-and-release cat to continue causing trouble 'round here. There's no indication she was bound for much of a life, except for the part where I would have been the one to keep feeding her.


She was marking her territory, though, it seems, as shown in this photo of my grill cover. I am not at all happy about what had to transpire today and feel rather rotten inside.

No comments: