Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Meal No. 2678: Chicken on a Throne


Monday a week ago, with bright sunshine but cool breezes, it proved to be a quiet and moderately productive day at the Roediger House. It was a great night for grilling, as shown in the photo above, and which I'm providing here because I am delighted with how my back yard rehabilitation is turning out. Look at the beautiful fresh new green grass that's growing nicely! (Also, that's some nice mesquite wood chips smoking in the grill.) 


In the early morning hours of that day, I had put a healthy spice rub on a whole roasting chicken and tucked it away to rest for the day. In the late afternoon, I drank just under half a beer (oh, how I miss beer!!!) and used the rest of it as part of a beer can steaming liquid to sit underneath that whole chicken whilst I grilled it. This was a nice return to a smoked/grilled whole chicken, with terrific flavors and a minimally-potent smoked fragrance. It was moist and tender but well-complimented by a heavily-peppered Alabama great white sauce.


I also tried a new side dish based on a Mexican street corn salad recipe from those dependable folks at SeriousEats.com. I tinkered with it just a bit and boy was it delicious. And by now I suppose it's pretty clear to readers of the blog that I'm a big fan of roasted broccoli florets. As dinners go at the Roediger House, this was one of the gut-busters, all too good and all too much.

Also, I was a bit shocked when I looked back at the blog posts and realized I haven't done beer can chicken since early summer of 2017 (Meal No. 1837).



"Chicken on a Throne" (p. 171-173) and "Alabama Great White Sauce" (p. 362) from Smoke & Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. Boston: The Harvard Common Press (2003).

Gas Grill Guidance from "Beer Can Chicken," by Hunter's Mom 2008 on AllRecipes.com; and from "Beer Can Chicken," by Julie Evink on GimmeSomeGrilling.com.

Mexican Corn Salad based mostly on "Mexican Street Corn Salad (Esquites)," from  J. Kenji López-Alt, Chief Culinary Consultant of SeriousEats.com. [Published 12 July 2012 / Updated 13 May 2020]

No comments: