Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Meal No. 1463: Basic Korean Beef BBQ


In the countdown to our "massive snowstorm" this weekend, I prepped a delightful deviation from the norm for Thursday night's supper: Korean Bulgogi beef barbecue over stir-fried rice. With a soy-sesame-ginger marinade that included fresh-grated bosc pear, the thinly-sliced boneless beef short rib seared wonderfully in the skillet and was full of flavor and just a touch of heat. The fried rice was helped by ample butter and sesame oil, as well as a bit of light soy sauce and chopped scallions. I was thinking about topping it with a fried egg the way I did the last time (and the only other time) I made this, but I think it would have been too much. I had trouble finishing my bowl as it was.

Fortunately, I had made all the grocery runs that I thought I needed to, so I was all prepared for the weather that was promised:

From @NorCak: instagram.com/norcak

By the way, when the sun emerged on this fine Sunday morning (at the time of this blog post), it really cast a warm glow on the beautiful scene:


And while I think this picture in the grove doesn't show it nearly well enough, I swear there were 20 robins (and other assorted birds, too) hungrily scarfing down all available food:




"Basic Bulgogi," by Chris Morocco. In Bon Appétit, November 2015, p. 44.

No comments: