Search RoHo Blog

Monday, January 4, 2016

Lemon Lover's Pound Cake

From the time I moved to Charlottesville for graduate school, until they moved to Maine in the mid-2000s, my friends Cindy Coulson and Harley Knowles were faithful innkeepers for me at their house in Winchester, Virginia. Initially, my trips up there were visits, usually with our mutual friend Lynne Sponaugle present as well, since she was on staff at Virginia Tech. Then, I began staying with them for the many trips each year I would make when I was teaching courses for the University or when I was doing professional development for Frederick County Schools.

I credit those trips to see Cindy and Harley, and the delicious meals she prepared for us, for inspiring me to begin making forays into cooking. She had a lot of great recipes and recipe sources. I've got quite a few recipes I copied down from various cookbooks and cooking magazines of hers. (In a 2012 blog post, I chronicled some of those that have made their way not just onto the Roediger House dinner table but also to the blog!)


For a recent dinner party, I pulled out one of those great recipes that I got either from one of her issues of Taste of Home, or an early issue after I started subscribing to it because of her: "Lemon Lover's Pound Cake."


It really turned out just about perfect, even though the actual cooking time far exceeded what the recipe suggested.


I used to make this more when I first moved to Winston, but the blog tells me I might have only made it once in the last, oh, five years.




"Lemon Lover's Pound Cake," by Annettia Mounger of Kansas City, Missouri. Published in Taste of Home, April/May 2003, p. 49.

No comments: